The Akron-AAUP Grievance Committee Drs. Russ Davis (Executive Director and Grievance Administrator) and Val Pipps (Contract Administrator and Grievance Officer) are ending the 2017-2018 year having responded to more than 40 individual faculty and/or groups for consultation or direct intervention/support.
The Grievance Committee has worked daily throughout the semester to support, advocate for, and help improve the working environment and rights of bargaining unit faculty (BUF).
The committee has worked on formal grievance-related labor/management issues such as:
- One formal individual-level grievance related to tenure/promotion
- One formal individual-level grievance related to disciplinary actions taken by the administration
- One college-grievance related to the appointment of dean
- One department-level related grievance related to the appointment of chair
Davis and Pipps have also helped with non-formal grievance-related labor/management issues such as:
- Guidance for multiple BUF concerning RTP, NTT guidelines
- Represented BUF in meeting with dean concerning alleged unprofessional conduct
- Represented BUF in meeting with dean concerning teaching, merit issues
- Finalization of a labor/management Memorandum of Understanding concerning NTT guidelines
- Education, guidance and support for multiple BUF questions/concerns about collective bargaining agreement (guidelines, timeliness, interpretation of Articles, etc.)
Mr. Mark Rittenour will take over as Contract Administrator and Grievance Officer at the end of the semester due to the retirement of Dr. Pipps.
For more information about the Grievance Committee and the grievance process please visit www.akronaaup.org where you can find a current copy of the CAB.
To request a private consultation, please contact Dr. Russ Davis (email@example.com) or Professor Mark Rittenour (firstname.lastname@example.org).